My home town and its dark history.

Last autumn I went to Liverpool but just for a day trip. My gosh! It had been a long time since I last set foot in the city of my childhood. The city where I went to school. The city where I was brought up. It was 14 years to be exact. It brought back memories but also parts of the city had changed. I remember when every Wednesday I would go to the town centre with my mother and sisters to do shopping and I would see St. John's Beacon and the two cathedrals from afar. It was great to be back.

Liverpool played an important part in the slave trade so my friend, MisBeee and I made a beeline for the International Slave Museum. We saw a lot of pictures and objects which illustrated how the city's port was used to transport slaves from Africa to the New World. I also learned about the slaves' long battle for freedom and how they fought their oppressors for it.


The museum also showcased handiwork of the African people such as pottery and clothing. I even saw the beautiful Kente cloth.



One strange object stood out for me in the museum. It was made of shackles and chains. Instruments of affliction turned into a work of art.



The museum also celebrated the talent and successes of the African diaspora. Some of them have gone on to become brilliant entrepreneurs and even world leaders. Their contributions to making the world a better place are their biggest achievement and have earned them a place in the history books.



There was also a history buff amongst the party that travelled with us so we learned more about slavery in the past. Before we left Liverpool we went to a fish and chip shop. Yummy! The coach took us back to London and when we got there it was practically midnight.

For further information on the day and yet more history go to the blog by MisBeee Writes.

misbeee.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/black-canvas-white-letters-why.html?m=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life reflection.

Show review: Stomp.

Overcoming challenges.